Palo Alto, California!
What better place to be for a weekend focusing on spiritual innovation and the UUA's outreach efforts.
The weekend in photos:
A 7pm Welcome dessert reception at the Westin Palo Alto, 675 El Camino Real.
After breakfast at the hotel, we headed to the Stanford University Faculty Club. Peter set the stage for the weekend with his report. Following this, we heard from UU Rev. Scotty McLennan, lecturer on the moral and spiritual aspects of business leadership for the Graduate School of Business and former Stanford Dean of Religious Life.
For the afternoon, we toured Facebook
Dinner was back at the hotel and our guest speaker was Rev. Rosemary Bray McNatt, President of Starr King School for the Ministry.
Rosemary Bray McNatt
- 7:30-8:30am Breakfast at hotel
- 8:45am Bus departs for Stanford Faculty Club
- 9:15 - 10:15am President’s Report (Peter)
- 10:15-11:15am Reflections from the former Dean of Religious Life (Scotty McLennan)
- 11:15-11:30am Break
- 11:30am-12:30pm State of UU Ministry (Sarah Lammert and Don Southworth)
- 12:30pm Lunch
- 1:30pm Bus departs for hotel
- 2:45pm Bus departs for tour of Facebook
- 3:15pm Tour of Facebook
- 4:30pm Bus returns to hotel
- 6:00pm Dinner at hotel with keynote speaker Rosemary Bray McNatt at 7pm
After breakfast at the hotel, we learned about the state of our ministry, our work in multifaith outreach, and entrepreneurial ministry. After lunch we heard from Tim and Mary Katherine with a financial update and thenhad an opportunity for a Q/A with UUA senior staff.
Dinner was back at the hotel with our guest speaker Dave Evans. Dave, as Stanford faculty, lectures on incorporating design thinking principles to solve "wicked problems." He shared his thoughts on the need for innovation in solving the wicked problem of the changing nature of spirituality in the 21st century. His new book, Designing Your Life, was hot off the press at meeting time.
- 8:00-9:00am Breakfast at hotel
- 9:15-10:30am Entrepreneurial ministry presentation (Don, Brock Leach, Peter)
- 10:30- 10:45am Break
- 10:45 - 11:15am Multifaith future initiative update (Brock, Peter)
- 11:15am-12:00pm Listening to you! (Panel: Don, Peter, Brock, Rosemary, Sarah)
- 12:00 -1:00pm Lunch
- 1:00-2:00pm Financial Update (Tim Brennan and Mary Katherine Morn)
- 2:00-3:00pm Q&A with UUA Senior Staff (Peter, Tim, Sarah, Mary Katherine)
- 3:00 - 6:00pm Free time
- 6:00pm Dinner at hotel with keynote speaker Dave Evans at 7pm
MORNING PLANS -
After breakfast at the hotel and a closing of our time together as a President's Council, we headed to the First Unitarian Church of San Jose. They celebrated their 150th anniversary and the invited preacher was none other than our president Peter Morales. This was a homecoming of sorts for Peter. This was where he preached his very first sermon, and it was in Spanish.
AFTERNOON PLANS -
For those interested, we headed to Testarossa Winery and Vineyard for a tour and tasting after our lunch at the church.
- 8:00-9:00am Breakfast at hotel – evaluations and a closing of our time together
- 9:30am Check out
- 10:00am Bus departs for church
- 11:00am Worship at First Unitarian Church of San Jose
- 12:00pm Coffee hour and lunch
- 1:30pm Bus departs for TestaRossa Winery
- 2:30pm Wine tour
- 4:00pm Bus departs for Westin Palo Alto
- Dinner on your own